Low vision is when a person has lost a certain amount of eyesight, which cannot be fully corrected with ordinary prescription lenses, medical treatment or surgery, thus making it hard or impossible to perform many of the normal daily tasks (read, drive, watch television, see people’s faces, match colors). Low vision is strongly related to aging, and it can be caused by specific eye conditions (macular degeneration, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy), by a stroke or by other eye conditions. Common types of low vision: loss of central vision, loss of peripheral (side) vision, night blindness, blurred vision, hazy vision.
(1) a video explanation of low vision;
(2) Examples of what people with low vision experience in everyday life when suffering from
Macular degeneration (photo by <a href="http://eyesofy ork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Macular-Degeneration-...">Eyesofyork.com</a>)
Diabetic Retinopathy (photo by <a href="http://focuseyecentre.com.au/diabetic-retinopathy/">Focus Laser Eye Centre</a>)
Glaucoma (photo by <a href="http://eyesofyork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Glaucoma-Vision-Simulat...">Eyesofyork.com</a>)
- Congdon N, O’Comain B, Klaver CC, Klein R, Munoz B, Friedman DS, Kempen J, Taylor HR, Mitchell P, Causes and prevalence of visual impairment among adults in the United States, Archives of Ophthalmology (Chicago, III.: 1960), 122(4), 2004, pp.477-485.
- Duffy MA, Low vision and Legal Blindness Terms and Descriptions, URL: http://www.visionaware.org/info/your-eye-condition/eye-health/low-vision/low-vision-terms-and-descriptions/1235.
- Biancarosa G, Griffiths GG. Technology tools to support reading in the digital age. Url: http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ996196.pdf. The Future of Children, 22(2), 2012.
- Power C, Jurgensen H. Accessible presentation of information for people with visual disabilities. Universal Access in the Information Society, 9(2), 2010, pp.97-119. DOI: 10.1007/s10209-009-0164-1.
- Turbert D. Low vision. American Academy of Ophthalmology. URL: https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/low-vision.